i wanted to develop some observation based mathematics for the bus system. The purpose was to enable modeling of the bus system and evaluating proposed improvements or changes.
So I began with a "Travel time record". I generated one of these records every time I went on a bus trip. I did several versions of this form as the bus travel experience and what I could do with the data became clear.
To develop a linear travel time equation I collected these data items:
- Start time, start location of the bus trip, measured from the door.
- Walk time (time when I arrived at the bus stop).
- Waiting time (time when the bus arrived, ending the wait)
- Riding time (time when I got off the bus)
- ... additional walk, wait and ride times for a 2 bus trip
- Walk time (time when I walked to the destination and touched the door).
- Destination location.
- 30% of the trip time is spent walking.
- 30% of the trip time is spent waiting.
- 40% of the trip time is spent riding the bus.
**The travel ratios presented here are subject to editing. I am hunting around in my garage for the original data. 5-28-2008