Why is there a squash on the hood of the Mercedes?


The squash is on the hood of the Mercedes to remind me that the car has been in my driveway for 5 years.

I have been working on my own cars for 45 years.

The Mercedes is a case in point of Lee's Law of what happens when you own two cars: Eventually one car will stop working and you will not get around to fixing it until you have to.

One of the results of working on my own cars is I can explore the following propositions:

An automobile is simply a machine.

It takes in fuel and burns it.

Components undergo wear due to motion and vibration of the vehicle.

It performs the burning of fuel with an efficiency directly related to the compression ratio of the engine.

Because the car must move itself as well as the passenger and payload, the net efficiency is limited because the car weighs several thousand pounds and whatever the car transports weighs several hundred pounds.

The change in the structure of human affairs, or "readiness for action" accomplished by the use of a car is a quantity that is quite difficult to measure.
A book I find very provocative on the question of what is information in human terms is Information, Mechanism and Meaning by Donald M. Mackay.


No comments: