|Automatic traffic cameras on a pole make money for the city. Why not switch to autonomous vehicles that don't break traffic laws?|
This state of affairs has caused me to ask three questions:
- Is there for sale a reasonably priced low CO2 and low energy solution to replace my tired piece of 20th century automobile machinery?
- Can I build an electric motorcycle or electric car with present day parts to do my present commute?
- Can I reasonably ride the bus to work? Even for just 4 days?
- Can I find a ride sharing arrangement for tomorrow morning?
What are the reasonable changes that can be made today to improve the lame choices available?
Changes to the California American automobile economic and technical framework:
The goals are:
- Make not-driving as economically rewarding as driving.
- Raise the load factor of many vehicles on the road by means of ride sharing.
- Create a technical solution to drunk and distracted driving by bringing autonomous vehicle control technology to the existing fleet of vehicles.
- Modify the automobile liability insurance and vehicle tax structure to make the cost of driving a car mostly linear where there is very little charge applied to a vehicle which is parked and not driven for a whole day.
- Provide a vehicle information and control interface, like a USB jack. Provide a "pay and drive" device that logs the use of the car and communicates the use to the insurance provider and state. This "pay and drive" device would be a small computer, a GPS receiver and a data transmission cell phone. The pay and drive device would be attached (as by a usb connection) to the vehicle computer and dashboard instruments of the car. When the car is driven, then the pay and drive device deducts a daily insurance and daily license charge from the owner's prepaid account.
The result is the car owner is literally free of car insurance and license charges every day the vehicle is not driven.
- Connect the automobile to a cell phone device that runs applications. Create a ride sharing application that would enable a specific vehicle to accept a rider when the vehicle is being operated in a repeating commute pattern.
- Create the legal and financial structure for ride sharing to reimburse the ride provider and provide insurance and a measure of personal safety.
........................ Continue .......